TRICARE Reserve Select

The TRICARE Reserve Select program is now offered to select members of the United States National Guard or Reserve without specific military

The TRICARE Reserve Select program is now offered to select members of the United States National Guard or Reserve without specific military service requirements. Members who qualify for or are covered by the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program are exempt from this program.

One premium amount is charged per coverage plan. Member-Only individual coverage has a premium of $50.75 per month and the Member-and-Family plan premium is $205.62 per month. These are all 2015 premium rates. The rates are modified every year and go into effect January 1 of each year.

The coverage can be purchased throughout the year at any time without any open enrollment periods. Two steps are required for the enrollment process:

Step 1: Application Process

1. Log onto the web portal for the National Guard and Reserve at

2. Click on the “TRICARE Reserve Select” section

  • Select the most suitable coverage for you needs

3. Confirm that you are not enrolled in or eligible for the FEHB program

4. Select the most suitable coverge start date

5. Print out and sign form DD 2896-1 (TRS Request Form)

Step 2: Purchase of Package

The filled out and completed TRICARE Reserve Select Request form should be submitted along with the first month’s premium payment to the regional contractor via fax or mail.

You can visit to learn more on updates regarding the TRICARE Reserve Select Program.

It is advisable that you discuss any retirement concerns with your local Transition Assistance Program coordinator prior to retirement.  For additional information, refer to the Transition Assistance Program.

Tricare Admin