In 2011, a premium-based plan for health care specifically designed for young adults was launched by TRICARE called TRICARE Young Adult (TYA). This plan was designed especially for dependent adult children up to the maximum age of 26 years old. The program offers benefits related to pharmacy and medical expenses but does not include coverage for dental care. The coverage in the regular TRICARE plan ends at the age of 21 or 23 if the adult dependent is admitted into an approved institution as a full-time college student and only after this, TYA coverage can be purchased.
TYA enrolled beneficiaries can visit any TRICARE-registered provider, either in the network or non-network. It should also be noted that the benefits and care at military diagnosis facilities are based entirely on space availability. There is no referral requirement unless in the case of specific services or care and advanced authorization may be required.
Qualifications for the TRICARE Young Adult Plan
A dependent adult must be:
- A dependent reliant on an eligible militant sponsor. If the militant sponsor is a representative of the specific Reserve of the Retired Reserve or of the Related Reserve but is non-active, he or she must be enrolled in either TRICARE Retired Reserve or TRICARE Reserve Select for the dependent to be qualified for coverage offered through the TRICARE Young Adult Plan.
- The dependent must be unmarried.
- Minimum of 21 years of age but not exceeding 26 years. (Note: eligibility starts only after the age of 23 for those admitted in an approved institution as a full-time college student or other educational institution if 50 percent of their financial expenses are provided by their sponsor).
- Not qualified to subscribe in an employer-sponsored health coverage based on his or her own employment.
- Not eligible for coverage in other programs of TRICARE.
Is TRICARE Young Adult Right for You?
TRICARE Young Adult is an option for unmarried, adult children who have “aged out” of regular TRICARE coverage. The plan provides comprehensive medical and pharmacy benefits. You should review all of your health plan options (military or commercial) before deciding if TRICARE Young Adult is the right plan for you.
Note: You aren’t eligible for TRICARE Young Adult if you’re eligible for employer-sponsored health plan.
For more information, visit here.