TRICARE covers reasonable travel expenses when TRICARE Remote family members and non-active duty TRICARE Prime beneficiaries are referred by their Primary Care Manager (PCM). This is effective when the medically necessary specialty care needed is offered at a location which is situated at a facility more than 100 miles from the office of the PCM.
Reasonable travel expenses cover the total costs incurred by the member covered by the TRICARE program while traveling for medical treatment and covers any tolls, gas, parking, meals and tickets incurred even while using public transportation.
The beneficiaries who qualify for travel reimbursement include:
- The enrolled transitional survivors under the TRICARE Prime Remote program
- Enrolled active duty members, active Reserve or National Guard members and their families who are covered by TRICARE Prime Remote
- Retired service members and their families covered by the TRICARE Prime plan
- Survivors, transitional survivors, and former spouses enrolled in the TRICARE Prime program
- Other enrolled members who are not active duty service members who are covered by the TRICARE Prime program