TRICARE Dental Program
TRICARE Dental care is offered to service members who are active on duty through a military dentist. Service members, retirees, Reserve members, and members of the National Guard and their families are eligible to access this program.
TRICARE Dental Advantages
TRICARE has a new type of dental coverage that currently covers dental anesthesia and associated costs for beneficiaries with physical, mental and developmental disabilities. This coverage plan also includes all children who are 5 years old and younger.
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company began administering the TRICARE Dental Programs in 2012 for active duty members, guard members, reserve and members of their families. The only program it did not offer at that time was the TRICARE Retiree Dental Program.
The following benefits are offered by MetLife:
- Annual orthodontic services up to a maximum of $1,750
- Annual maximum coverage up to $1,300
- An additional injury/accident coverage of a maximum of up to $1,200
- Coverage of posterior resin (white) fillings
- Some diabetes-related periodontal cares are not cost-shared
- Dental cleaning services for pregnant women
- Eligibility to family members, a spouse, and children (including those who are married as long as they financially depend on the service member over 50 percent).
- Eligibility is extended to children who are 23 years if they are still enrolled full-time as students in institutions of higher education and it also includes children who are disabled, under the age 21, and are still students.
- TRICARE Dental does not cover the following people in the family: parents, former spouses, foreign personnel, in-laws, and disabled veterans.
For more information on TRICARE’s dental services, please visit: TRICARE Dental Program